This document provides guidance on the submission of your manuscript or summary to COMCAS 2021. The deadline for manuscript and summary submissions is 12 July 2021.
COMAS 2021 will feature the following awards:
- The Mini-Circuits Harvey Kaylie Best Paper Award
- The Mini-Circuits Harvey Kaylie Best Student Paper Award
- The European Microwave Association (EuMA) Student Paper Awards
To qualify for any of the above awards, a full manuscript of 4 to 6 pages in length must be submitted by 12 July 2021. Papers where the first author is a student can qualify for the Student Paper awards.
The IEEE Xplore® Digital Library will serve as the official proceedings digest of COMCAS 2021. In view of COVID-19, COMCAS 2021 is instituting a new option where authors may submit a summary paper only. When this option is applied, accepted papers will be published in the USB stick that will be distributed at the conference, but these summary papers will not be published in IEEE Xplore. Those authors desiring to have their manuscript included in the IEEE Xplore official digest must submit a full paper as the initial submission, followed by a final manuscript submission at a later date (10 September 2021, as explained below and assuming the submitted summary was accepted for presentation at COMCAS 2021). We again emphasize that authors wanting to qualify for a Best Student Paper or Best Paper award must submit a full paper by 12 July 2021.
1. Initial Manuscript or Summary Submission
COMCAS 2021 will follow a two-step paper submission process. For a paper to be published in IEEE Xplore, the initial manuscript must be of length of 2 to 6 pages, conforming to one of the provided templates (see Authors Instructions on the COMCAS 2021 website). (If authors wish for their submission to qualify for a Best Paper or Student award, the page count is 4 to 6 pages.) This initial submission will be used to determine suitability of the paper for inclusion in COMCAS 2021. The initial submission can also be a summary paper of one to four pages in length describing what the authors would like to present at COMCAS 2021. Accepted summary papers will be included in the USB digest distributed at the conference, but will not be published in the official COMCAS 2021 digest to be published in IEEE Xplore.
Authors of accepted full papers will be requested to submit a final manuscript conforming to the COMCAS 2021 full paper template, which will be due 10 September 2021 (click links in the Authors Instructions web page to obtain the templates). Accepted manuscripts will be published in the IEEE COMCAS 2021 Proceedings, which will be made available through IEEE Xplore® Digital Library.
Please note the following requirements, which will be strictly enforced:
- Submit all manuscripts and summaries to the COMCAS 2021 Manuscript Submission Web Site (link below) for consideration as an oral or poster presentation. Authors desiring to submit more than one paper must repeat the manuscript submission process for each paper. An author may submit up to two papers (see instructions below).
- File format must be PDF. This will be the only format accepted.
- Limit the submitted document to 10-Megabyte file size, 2 to 6 pages. These limits will be strictly enforced. Remember, to qualify for publication in IEEE Xplore, the minimum initial manuscript length must be 2 pages; to qualify for the Best Paper or Student paper awards, this page count minimum is 4 pages.
- Be sure to supply all requested information in the manuscript submission process (link provided below).
- Manuscripts and summaries must be written in English.
- Full manuscripts must follow the provided templates, which can conform to US or International dimensions (click links in the Authors Instructions web page to obtain the templates). Separate templates are also provided for summary submissions; it is required that summaries follow these templates.
- Manuscript title, authors, and their affiliations should be clearly stated at the beginning of the manuscript text. This information will also be entered into the manuscript submission system.
- All submitted initial manuscripts and summaries will be reviewed by the COMCAS Technical Program Committee to determine acceptance of each submission, and whether the submission should be presented in an oral or poster session. Authors of papers accepted for oral or poster presentation will be notified by 20 August 2021; notices expressing submission rejections will also be sent at this time.
- COMCAS 2021 will not accept plagiarized content. This includes re-used content from an author's prior publication in a journal, conference proceeding, or earlier COMCAS event. Plagiarism will be checked for; thus, authors are obliged to submit new content. Likewise, use of content without attribution will be flagged. Such papers risk rejection.
In submitting a manuscript or summary, authors agree that, if their paper is accepted, they will submit a revised final manuscript by 10 September 2021, and that at least one author will register by 10 September 2021 to attend COMCAS 2021 and present the paper or poster. The final manuscript submission will contain corrections or address recommendations pointed out during the paper review. This submission will also provide authors the opportunity to supply additional data, update results, reinforce presented concepts, and provide other information to their initial manuscript.
Additional Information for Manuscript Submission:
- At least one presenter from each accepted contribution must register for the COMCAS 2021 Conference by 10 September 2021 in order to be included in the final program. The final manuscript must likewise have been uploaded into the submission system for publication by the due date for the final manuscript submission. Up to two papers can be covered by a single registration.
- Expenses for travel and attendance including registration fee, are the responsibility of each presenter.
- All papers must be submitted with an IEEE copyright authorization form. This step will apply to the final submission.
1. How to Submit your Initital Summary or Manuscript
A complete submission requires the following actions:
- Create, proof read, and check the layout of your manuscript or summary. Links to templates providing guidance on the full paper layout are provided in the Authors Instructions page of the COMCAS Website.
- Convert your document to a PDF file.
- Go to the COMCAS 2021 Manuscript Submission page (below) to input the required information and upload your manuscript or summary PDF document.
All of these actions must be completed prior to the manuscript submission deadline of 12 July 2021.
3. Step-by-Step Instructions for Manuscript or Summary Submission
NOTE: If you are submitting more than one paper, you will need to repeat the submission process for each paper.
Manuscript and summary submissions are handled through the Editor's Assistant (EDAS) Website. To submit your manuscript, please follow the steps below.
Step 1. Register your submission on the EDAS paper submission system. This is performed by logging onto the following link:
This link should bring you to a page that looks like this:
Once you are at this site, you have the choice of 1) registering as a new author on the EDAS system, or 2) if you have already submitted a paper to the EDAS system for COMCAS 2019, COMCAS 2017, or another conference managed by the EDAS paper submission system, you may simply enter the email address and password that you already used for EDAS. Prior users of EDAS will be able to recall their profile information for the COMCAS document submission. If you forgot your password, reset it as instructed.
If you are using EDAS for the first time, click create a new account. You should then see the following screen where you will fill in information about yourself (only part of the screen is shown):
Be sure to enter the information into the fields marked with a red *. If there are multiple authors, the information about the additional authors can be entered later, as described below.
After you fill out the above form, at the bottom of the form's page click the EDAS privacy box then click the "Add this person" button as shown below. You will then be sent to the following screen below. Depending on the information that you provided, EDAS might display a list of similar names. This is to make sure that the author's information that was just now entered does not correspond to that of a different EDAS user. If the author believes that his/her name corresponds to a name in the list, click that name. Otherwise, go to the bottom of the page, click the "This is not a duplicate" box then click the button "Add this person."
Once you add yourself as the owner of a new EDAS account, you should see the following screen:
When authors make use of email addresses from Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft, and other popular email services, the EDAS system displays the warning in the above screenshot. You may ignore this warning.
Step 2. Receive welcome email.
Following the entry of the author information, you will receive a welcome email from the EDAS system, confirming your identity and a link to set the password. If you do not receive this email, please be sure to check your spam folder. Once you establish your password, your EDAS account will be ready to begin the paper submission process.
Step 3. Register your paper.
You may now return to the email you initially received and click the link "register your paper". If you already have an EDAS account, you can go directly to http://edas.info/N28159 to register your paper. (This same address can also be used to go back to your paper entry to make changes, which is described later in this document.) You will then see the following page, where you will be given a list of conference tracks, one of which you will chose to have your paper presented:
Note: not all of the COMCAS 2021 conference tracks are shown in the above screen shot.
Click the appropriate subject track for your paper (in the column "Track") in the above list (e.g., "Communications and Sensors"), then you will be brought to a screen resembling the following:
Be sure to enter the unique title of the manuscript, along with keywords or keyword expressions in the boxes that follow, and the abstract (100 to 150 words). The title entered on this web page must match the title in the submitted document. Please double check for this match, otherwise it will be flagged later in the paper preparation process.
Just above the Abstract text you will find three drop-down boxes to select:
- Best Conference Paper Award qualification,
- Student or Regular paper,
- Poster or Oral presentation,
- Full Manuscript or Summary.
If you wish to have your paper qualify for Best Conference Paper Award, be sure to select the drop down box that says Yes. If you desire for the paper to be entered into the Best Student Paper contest, be sure to select the box for Student. In this case it is expected that the student is the only author, or a co-author, of the paper. The next drop-down is Oral or Poster; select your preference. Usually the selection of Poster is granted in the conference planning. If Oral is selected, the COMCAS review staff will try to honor this request, but it might later be scheduled as a Poster depending on time and space availability and the nature of the paper. Finally, you must select the option for Full Manuscript submission or Summary Only. Summary Only notifies the COMCAS 2021 organizers that you do not intend on submitting a full manuscript and that your paper will not be published in the IEEE Xplore COMCAS 2021 digest.
Next, you may select the type of English (US, English, Canadian); the choice impacts how the spelling checker operates.
Next, select at least one check box corresponding to the topic of your manuscript. This will enable the COMCAS team to assign the appropriate reviewers and session to your submission. You may check up to three boxes if you believe the subject matter of your paper spans multiple fields. If you are an author, be sure to check the "Add yourself as author" button, then click the Submit button. Note additional authors can be added later, as described in Step 4.
The next screen should resemble the following (assuming no errors in your abstract, such as if it is too long, too short, contains spelling errors, etc.):
Step 4. Adding more authors.
The above page contains various buttons and parameters that enable you to control the information in your submission. If you wish to add more authors to the submission, simply click the + box in the Authors row. At this point, enter the email address of the additional author. This should be an email address already registered in the EDAS system. If so, a list of possible co-author names is provided in a menu for you to select from. Otherwise, this email address can be that of a new author who has not used EDAS before. For a new author, enter the information asked for. Once you believe that the corresponding information in the screen is correct, hit the button "Add this person". You will then see a screen including the additional author. Repeat this process to add more authors. Please do not assign more than ten authors to any one paper. At this point you may also edit the paper Title, Abstract, Keywords, and other parameters.
Step 5. Uploading the manuscript or summary document.
Once you are ready, you may upload the manuscript or summary document by scrolling downward the above screen. Select the file you want to upload from your computer by hitting “Choose File”. You will then see the following screen with the selected filename next to the “Choose File” button. This indicates that the file was successfully loaded. If you do not see the file name here, try to upload the file again.
ALL FILES MUST BE IN PDF. DO NOT UPLOAD WORD, LaTeX, POWERPOINT OR FILES IN OTHER FORMATS.
Once you hit the Upload PDF button, you will see the following screen:
Remember, the EDAS system creates many types of warnings. One way to prevent unnecessary warnings is to be sure that you had entered in EDAS' Manuscript Submission process a paper title that matches the title contained in your manuscript.
Step 7. Completing the submission and making further changes.
The above steps complete the Manuscript or Summary Submission process. At this point you may click the drag down menu item "Logout" from the top-level Home menu item.
If you need to return to the Submission Management page (which resembles the above screenshot), simply log into your account at http://edas.info/N28159 and select the appropriate menu item. This enables you to re-upload your manuscript (if you made changes to it), add authors, change author information, change topic, edit abstract, etc. You can upload your modified manuscript by clicking the cloud icon near the lower left of the screenshot of the screen above.
If you need additional information about the EDAS system, please refer to the following links:
We hope that you find the submission process easy. We look forward to seeing you at COMCAS 2021!
Amir Boag, Technical Program Chair, COMCAS2021 Technical Program Committee
Ben Epstein, Publications Chair, COMCAS2021
Shmuel Auster, Conference Chair, COMCAS2021